Founded nearly 140 years ago, The Northern is one of the oldest lawn tennis clubs in the UK – in fact, one of the oldest in the world.
The Northern Lawn Tennis Association was set up in 1879, nine years before the National Lawn Tennis Association, with the object of staging a tournament to rival the new Wimbledon Tournament, launched just two years earlier.
The club was originally located in Old Trafford, eight miles from its current site, but as the century drew to a close, rapid industrialisation made tennis conditions difficult: “… new balls became black after only a few games and a collision with the stop netting caused a well-defined pattern of it to appear on one’s flannels.”
The Clubhouse was duly dismantled and re-erected in leafy Didsbury in 1909. In 1936, two squash courts were added and the North of England Squash Championship was held at the Northern for the first time in 1949.